Are Scented Candles Bad for Your Health? Debunking the Myths and Unveiling the Benefits of Elm Design Candles
Scented candles have become increasingly popular in recent years, transforming homes into cozy sanctuaries, and creating a calming ambiance. However, concerns about the potential health risks associated with scented candles have also emerged. In this blog, we will explore the truth behind these concerns and shed light on the benefits of using high-quality scented candles like the products that we craft by hand at Elm Design Candles.
1. The Dangers of Cheap Paraffin Candles
Many mass-produced, low-quality candles are made from paraffin wax, a byproduct of petroleum refining. When burned, paraffin candles are suspected to release potentially harmful chemicals such as toluene and benzene, which are known to be carcinogens. Prolonged exposure to these chemicals can irritate the respiratory system and contribute to indoor air pollution.
2. The Safer Alternative: Soy and Beeswax Candles
Fortunately, there are healthier alternatives to paraffin candles. Soy and Beeswax candles are gaining popularity due to their natural composition and cleaner burning process. Soy wax is derived from soybean oil, while beeswax is produced by honeybees. Both types of candles burn without emitting toxins, making them a safer choice for your health. The wax that Elm Design Candles uses is made from sustainably sourced soy that is grown in the United States.
3. Understanding Fragrance Ingredients
In recent years, scientists have been studying the impact of phthalates on our health. These chemicals, apart from being known as disruptors of our hormonal system, have also been associated with a higher chance of developing breast cancer, fertility problems, and other health issues. Although more research is still being conducted to fully understand the risks of phthalate exposure, it's evident that it's best to steer clear of products containing these chemicals whenever possible.
At Elm Design Candles, we pride ourselves on using the highest-quality and most rigorously tested fragrance oils on the market. The company we buy oils from has an industry-leading safety standard and is committed to offering fragrance oils that are free of the following:
d) Reproductive Toxins
e) Organ Toxins
f) Acute Toxins
This commitment ensures a clean, non-toxic burning experience that won't compromise your health or indoor air quality.
4. The Importance of Proper Candle Care
- When lighting for the first time, burn the candle until wax melts across the entire surface to the sides of the vessel (this prevents tunneling, and creates an even burn for the duration of the candle’s ‘life’) This may take up to 2-4 hours.
- Trim the wick to ¼ of an inch before each burn to promote an even burn, steady flame, and limit soot and mushrooming of the wick.
- To preserve the fragrance, do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time.
- Trim the candle wick after each burn. This is very important to prevent the candles from smoking on the next burn or from burning the sides of the glass. We recommend trimming them to 1/4th to 1/8th of an inch each time. Invest in a good pair of wick trimmers that will cleanly cut and remove the excess wick.
- If soot ever forms on the inside of the vessel, extinguish the candle, wait for it to cool, then wipe it with a clean damp cloth. Trim the wick and relight.
- Always keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches, and debris.
- Extinguish the candle with a snuffer, or dip the wick into the melted wax and then straighten the wick to prevent smoking and also prevent hot wax from splattering. Do not blow out.
- Extinguish a candle if it smokes, flickers, or the flame becomes too high. These signs indicate the candle is not burning properly and the flame isn't controlled. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, then check for drafts before re-lighting.
- To maximize scent throw, burn in desired space for 30 mins with the door closed. Open windows and doors will disperse scent.
- Always store your candles in a cool, dark, and dry place. Avoid placing your candles where they will be directly exposed to sunlight or harsh indoor lighting.
5. The Benefits of Elm Design Candles
Elm Design Candles stands out as a brand that not only cares about your well-being but also offers an exquisite sensory experience. Here are some reasons why Elm Design Candles should be on your radar:
a) Premium ingredients: Elm Design Candles are handcrafted using 100% US-grown soy wax. This ensures a clean, soot-free burn that is safe for you and the environment.
b) Captivating fragrances: Each Elm Design Candle is meticulously scented with clean, non-toxic fragrance oils that provide a rich and long-lasting aroma. Their fragrance selection caters to various preferences, from soothing lavender to invigorating citrus.
c) Aesthetically pleasing design: Elm Design Candles not only infuse your space with delightful scents but also serve as beautiful decorative pieces. Their minimalist yet elegant design adds a touch of sophistication to any room.
While some scented candles may pose health risks due to their composition and manufacturing processes, choosing high-quality options like Elm Design Candles can provide a safe and enjoyable experience. By opting for candles made from natural waxes and fragrance oils derived from reputable vendors with extremely high standards, you can enhance the ambiance of your home without compromising your health. Remember to practice proper candle care and ventilation to ensure a pleasant and worry-free candle-burning experience.