Caring for Your Candles
We're so excited for you to revel in the joy from our candles! When you inhale the amazing aroma from an Elm Design candle we want you to have the best experience, may that be comfort, peace, or pure delight! And we want you to be able to enjoy your product for as long and safely as possible. For the most effective way to do this, please follow our candle care tips below.Candle Care:
- When lighting for the first time, burn the candle until wax melts across entire surface to the sides of vessel (this prevents tunneling, and creates an even burn for the duration of the candle’s ‘life’) This may take up to 2-4 hours.
- Trim wick to ¼ of an inch before each burn to promote an even burn, steady flame, limit soot and mushrooming of wick.
- To preserve the fragrance, do not burn your candle more than 4 hours at a time.
- Trim the candle wick after each burn. This is very important to prevent the candles from smoking on the next burn or from burning the sides of the glass. We recommend trimming them to 1/4th to 1/8th of an inch each time. Invest in a good pair of wick trimmers that will cut and remove the excess wick cleanly.
- If soot ever forms on the inside of the vessel, extinguish candle, wait for it to cool, then wipe with a clean damp cloth. Trim wick and relight.
- Please keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Extinguish candle with a snuffer, or dip wick into melted wax and then straighten wick to prevent smoking and also prevent hot wax from splattering. Do not blow out.
- Extinguish a candle if it smokes, flickers, or the flame becomes too high. These signs indicate the candle is not burning properly and the flame isn't controlled. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, then check for drafts before re-lighting.
- To maximize scent throw, burn in desired space for 30 mins with the door closed. Open windows and doors will disperse scent.
- Always store your candles in a cool, dark and dry place. Avoid placing your candles where they will be directly exposed to sunlight or harsh indoor lighting.
Safety Guidelines For Candles
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Always light candles in a draft-free area.
- Do not burn your candle all the way down.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Always remove labels and wrapping before lighting candles.
- Always place candles on a non-flammable, sturdy surface or holder to protect your surfaces from heat.
- Don't move any candle that is burning, as the wax could spill and cause severe burns.